Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Weekly Update #2


What a great week Owen has had! And I am not trying to be overly optimistic and unrealistic in any way...it really was one of the best weeks he has had in a very long time! Gavin and I have seen some great things this week. Owen laughed probably four or five times, and smiled more times than we can even count. The greatest part about his great mood is that he is seemingly starting to understand and interact appropriately. A few examples: 1) his case manager, Cathy, was speaking in a funny voice about his dog Brutus; Owen turns his head, looks right at her, and starts smiling like she was soooo funny. 2) I was feeding Owen a couple of days ago, and he bit down on his spoon (which he never does). I joked with him, saying, "Don't you bite down on that spoon, you little turkey!" And he looks up at me and happily grins with the spoon still tightly in his mouth, obviously trying to tease me. And 3) I sat Owen up right next to his little brother, Dex. Owen turns to Dex and has the most endearing look on his face with a smile twenty miles long. He clearly loves his little brother and shows him often by holding his hand or smiling at him....and Dex returns the love by chewing on his shoes, pulling his hair, or pinching his face. This unique relationship these two boys have has undoubtedly been the best therapy for Owen...sometimes it's just too cute to handle. And before I forget (refer to the pictures in the middle of the collage)...I found Owen and Dex in this position a couple of days ago (Owen's legs pinning poor little Dex to the floor). If you look closely, Owen is happy and loving this pickle he's gotten his little brother in to. And if you look closely again, you'll notice Dex is crying for his mommy to come save him. Way to go Owen! Wrestling isn't out of the picture quite yet...

On a medical note, he has yet to start the first trial medication, which is called MCT oil. We have it in our possession, but I am still waiting on the dietitian to call me back. We're going on three days of waiting. Do I sound frustrated? Maybe because I am a little. However, since Owen has been acting so incredible this last week, I'm not feeling in such a hurry to get something new started as I was a couple of months ago. Things are good in the Klug household!

Sidenote: my collaging skills are still a work in progress...bear with me.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Owen! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking Owen will be babysitting soon. Dex may be able to move faster, but I think Owen has a solution for that.

    ReplyDelete