Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Weekly Update #1

Since this blog is mostly to keep everyone informed on Owen's health status, I thought it would be appropriate to post weekly updates on how he's doing. We've had a little issue with communication with Owen's Children's Mercy neurological staff, but before I get into it, I think it's better. Ever since we've started seeing Owen's current epileptologist, he hasn't been the epitomy of an effective and timely communicator when it comes to transitioning to other medications or test results. I took a friend's advice (thanks Crystal!) and called the patient advocate line that Children's Mercy offers. They listened to my concerns, and I got--count 'em--FOUR phone calls on the SAME day from his dietitian, ketogenic diet coordinator, and....duh, duh-duh, duh....the man himself, Owen's doctor. That patient advocate line is the bomb!!! They don't mess around and the doctors obviously take them seriously. So what's my point? Owen still hasn't began trying a new medication recommended by the Baltimore doctor because we've had a little draggage of the feet at Children's Mercy. However, we have ordered the MCT oil and it's coming in the mail anyday now. Owen's doctor isn't optimistic this will do anything...but it's worth a try, and I'm not going to let him get us down. Let's hope for a decrease in seizures in the next couple weeks!

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Kiley!!!! I tell ya, those Patient Advocate peeps will get things done and see to it! And yes, it means something to the doctors when they get involved, sadly it takes that sometimes! I will tell you, after now working at another large children's hospital (Childrens Medical Center of Dallas)- there is a theme of extremely poor communication with Neurologists, doesn't matter if you're inpatient or outpatient. Its because they are so smart they are socially awkward (to put it nicely) :)
    Love the blog!
    check out our blog: http://babyddub.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete