Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Weekly Update #5

I'm trying to get back on my Wednesday Weekly Updates, but I'm sure I'll screw it up at least a few hundred more times. Owen's had a pretty good week. And when I say "pretty good," we measure that by two factors: 1) his seizure frequency, and 2) his overall mood and energy level. His seizure frequency hasn't been that great; he's been coming home from school having had 8 or 9 seizures in a three-hour period, and they don't slow down after he's home. However, his mood has been pretty good. He's been sleeping when he's SUPPOSED to be sleeping, and he's been pretty wide-eyed and happy for the most part. Going back to school after almost a two-week break, he's been coming home begging for a nap. Those teachers and therapists of his are great at wearing him out!

Gavin and I have been looking at a supplemental form of treatment for Owen, other than medication and diet. I have been speaking with a wonderful fellow mom named Stacey (we met her in the airport on the way to Baltimore, how lucky were we!). She has a four-year-old son who has a seizure disorder and an undiagnosed condition. They tried what is called hyperbaric treatments (google it, it's pretty interesting stuff)...they are super expensive, insurance does not cover them, and some kiddos see good results and some don't. Stacey's son was seizure free for the entire year of 2010! I would be ecstatic if Owen could be seizure free for a day, let alone a whole year. These treatments would have to be done in KC, and we are still considering them. However, after speaking with Owen's ketogenic diet nurse, we think we might try Japanese acupuncture first. It's less expensive, it has more "scientific proof" that it works for some people(according to the nurse), and we know there are no risks to Owen's safety or health (to my knowledge, there are no risks doing the hyperbaric treatments either). It has been said to not only decrease the frequency of seizures, but also help with GI/digestive issues and sensory issues as well. Now I am just in the process of finding a Japanese acupuncturist that doesn't live HOURS away!!! I don't think it's going to happen though. So far Great Bend, Hoisington, and Salina only have Chinese acupuncturists. Yeah, there's a slight difference I guess. I need to do more checking and more research, but I'll hopefully have some more information in a few weeks.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment